I Can Do All Things Through Him Who Strengthens Me. Philippians 4:13

I Can Do All Things Through Him Who Strengthens Me.  Philippians 4:13
"Few souls understand what God would accomplish in them if they were to abandon themselves unreservedly to Him and if they were to allow His grace to mold them accordingly." Ignatius
My photo
North Carolina, United States

Thursday, March 18, 2010

3/18/10 This is has become a ministry now...

    Yesterday was a good day although it did present some challenges. I really had no food impulses or temptations until the evening when I sat down to watch some TV. Trip and Kate went to see a movie and there I was hungry.   Seemed fine at first and then I realized I wanted a quick flavor.    I slightly succumbed to some bbq potato chips and then made an ever so slightly improved choice over to some salsa guacamole and tortilla chips.  After that I went into full throttle temptation for a candy bar. 


Oh, I wanted a Milkway or two or three! I knew just where they were too. I'd gotten a bag recently for our Sunday school class! The last bag I bought was gone before Sunday though. Oops! Folks who don't understand this kind of addiction may only see the humor in this, but it is a battle. My defense against this attack was God's word and his Holy Power over my sinful desires.  At that moment I grabbed my Bible, put my Lord first and drew on the power of my Savior's promises.  He empowered me to stop that temptation in it's tracks. I later chose a healthier substitute in a few pieces of pineapple! Yes, wanting that chocolate or any other food impulsively and in excess was a sinful desire because it has become an idol and an over indulgence in my life. It is contrary to the actions a believer is to display and partake.


    "When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God." Galations 5:19-21


Yes, impulsive eating is right up there in my opinion with lustful desires and idolatry.  However, when I accepted Christ as my savior, the passions of my sinful nature were nailed to the cross. Doesn't mean I'm completely sin proof in this world, but that God's gift of His Holy Spirit now indwells in me a new nature. This new nature leads me away from these sinful desires.  I am strengthened and directed by my new nature.


     "So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves. The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions. But when you are directed by the Spirit, you are not under obligation to the law of Moses." Galations 5:16-18


The Holy Spirit produces nine fruits that are to be present in me not some of the time, but all the time.


    "But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!
Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there. Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives. Let us not become conceited, or provoke one another, or be jealous of one another." Galations 5:22-26


So although I may not be completely sin-proof still, through the act of acceptance of my Lord's precious gift of salvation, His spirit now lives in me.  His Holy Spirit makes it possible for me to be truly satisfied in this life with or without the comforts or this world or the lustful desires of my heart including chocolate!  As I continue to live my life as His child and dedicate myself to Him, His Spirit guides me and leads me to a more Christ-like life.  I may not be perfected completely in this world, but the Lord has me on this journey of sanctification through my trials until I perish and enter His Kingdom glorified with Him.  Sanctification is the progression of holiness through Christ Jesus in this life, separating us from evil.


     "My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of it.    Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified."  John 17 :15-19


So now it is 5:21 AM.  I'm thankful to our Lord for His leadership and strength in my life!  Thank you Lord!  All Glory to you!  Time to go back to bed for now.  We will be having more children over today like we did yesterday.   I get to be rested!  Lord willing, I will write more later.


Satisfied in Christ,
-Karen

2 comments:

  1. Yes, you can do this! I know you can...and the experience you have going through the fire of food addiction will give you the empathy to connect with others through your ministry.
    Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your enthusiasm and support Topcat! I love you! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!